Did You Know?

An active lifestyle may help men to maintain reproductive health, and general health and well-being.

Learn More
Text Size

Your Next Step

The easiest personal health number to figure out is your BMI. A healthy BMI is great and it is good indicator of your health, but it is only 25% of your health picture. The next step is following up with your health care provider, family doctor/general practitioner to learn your remaining 3 personal health numbers and the other 75% to complete your health picture.

How to Improve Your Numbers

  1. Get Active
    Aim for 30 minutes of activity every day. Go to the gym, ride your bike, yoga, walking, tennis, any sport you enjoy. Even gardening and household chores are beneficial.

  2. Booze
    A beer on game day. A glass of wine with dinner. Both are perfectly okay, but how much is too much? Two drinks per day should be your maximum, and no more than 14 drinks per week. Moderation is key and even less is better.

  3. Quit Smoking
    We all know smoking is bad for us. Unfortunately 20% of men still smoke. Changing long-term habits can be hard, however there are resources and support to help you quit.

  4. More Fruit. More Vegetables. Less Salt. Less Sugar.
    The most important thing a man can do to improve his diet is to aim for 5 to 10 servings of fruit and vegetables per day. Reduce your salt by eating less packaged foods. Reduce your sugar by easing up on pop and energy drinks. Reduce both by eating less junk food.

  5. Improve your sleep
    Stress, anxiety, depression, a bad diet, lack of physical activity can all lead to a lousy night’s sleep. A good night’s sleep is a great first step to getting healthy and improving your numbers.

 

Sources:

Blood Pressure U.K.
John Hopkins University
Mayo Clinic
Canadian Diabetes Association
www.diabetes-blood-sugar-solutions.com
MHIBC
AboutMen.ca
WikiHow.com
Heart & Stoke Foundation

Site Map
|
Privacy Policy
|
Terms of Use & Disclaimer
|
Link To Us
|
Contact Us

Copyright © 2017 Men's Health Initiative of BC